Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Am I pretty?

I've had a few moments lately where I've struggled with the age old question.. am I pretty? Ugh, that's hard to even say without the fear of people trying to reassure me that, "of course you are." and the last thing I need right now is comments like that adding to my self doubt... because then the reassurance in my head sounds like, "we have to say this..." and this is not my point at all. My point is I hate when I have days like this. I hate feeling like I'm not acceptable... but the real issue is that I feel like I am lacking something and I know deep down that I am acceptable, I am loved.. I just need to go to the One who can cover me in truth about who I am and not go searching for an ego boost from anywhere else.

I think I am in need of a long bubble bath and maybe a bit of pampering in the form of painting my nails and toes. That always perks me up! The struggle with my outward appearance will always be a struggle in the world we live in, I will always see someone thinner, better dressed, and more pulled together than I feel.. but I know that as it says in 1 Peter 3:3-4 "your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gently and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." I also need to remember Psalm 139:14, I love how the Message says it; "Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration - what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day."

Needed that reminder that I am marvelously made and getting it from the One who created me... nothing beats that!

No comments:

Post a Comment