Thursday, September 6, 2012

Multi-generational living

My dad is healing well from his surgery and I am happy to post that my parents and their dog will be moving back to their RV on Sept. 18th. We've enjoyed many wonderful, challenging, funny, and creative moments together. They will have lived with us 108 days by the time they move out; that's about 1/3 of a year. Some days it feels like it went fast and others it feels like its been forever. I will miss many things about them not being here. I've enjoyed shopping with my mom, her eye for decorating, and always having a willing partner when I run errands! I will miss many things about my dad too. His ever present sense of humor, greetings when I walk out of my room in the morning, talking politics and drinking wine or beer on the deck with him, and his jewelry making skills!

It's been a summer of memories and my kids will always remember the time their grandparents spent with us. They've really gotten to know them better, we've learned new things about them, they've learned new things about us. I am sure that they won't miss my constant insistence of a clean kitchen. My mom will be able to go back to her normal routines without having to think about mine. She'll be able to wash laundry whenever, not worry about all the hair her dog sheds and my constant vacuuming... :) I will miss their Dyson vacuum soooo much! I think I need to head out right after they leave and buy one! It was amazing!

All the funny quirks that make your family your family, my parents got a front row seat to ours and we also got a front row seat to their marriage. I am grateful for that, that we know each other better after they've lived here and that we survived it and still have a wonderful relationship. God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment