Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Talking the Truth on Mute

Have you ever had the best conversation ever with yourself? That's kind of how my day felt! I am the kind of person who generally speaks my mind, about mostly everything... but why is it becoming hard to talk about the one thing that matters most to me. I have said to God, here I am send me... but the goer needs senders. Asking for support is probably the hardest thing I have ever done. No joke, HARDEST! Yet, it's so vital to the ministry of being a missionary. So, I am on this journey of not only discovering who I am as a woman chasing God's call on her life, but also discovering that in order to this I have to humble myself and ask others to come alongside me. In writing it doesn't sound so bad, but the nerves in my gut after setting up each meeting have me thinking otherwise.....

God grace has covered me and will continue to cover me as I make more calls and appointments, probably with some of you who are reading this blog right now! :) I just want you to know that I love you for hearing me out, for praying for me (because I need lots of it), and most importantly for listening to me as I talk about God's heart for Italy.
Why Italy? Why now? Why me? These are the questions that so many people have asked, maybe not the why me... but I have asked God that one. :) Here's a little more information on these important questions...

Why Italy? Italy is less than 2% Christian. They are considered a post Christian society, they have three times as many Pagan (occult) priest to only one Catholic priest, many cities and towns have no evangelical witness at all, there are 1,600,00 students in 48 universities and this is considered the largest unreached mission field in Italy. There is an estimated 400,000 heroin addicts, with a high incidence of HIV... the Muslims have grown to over one million, the Muslim Mosque in Rome is Europe's largest. Africans from all over Africa are seeking work or fleeing war and famine. Italy's coastline has become a funnel for millions of illegal immigrants.They are all in need of the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. And who will reach them? That's the question plaguing my heart... that is why we are going. The generation of youth and young adults in this culture is considered agnostic at best, they are catholic only by name sake not by practice, cathedrals set empty and are pretty buildings to look at, not places of worship anymore... this is not a Catholic vs. Christian debate, it's about reaching the unreached with the love of Christ, the truth of scripture and saving the lost.

Why now? "The need for expatriate missionaries is great but the casualty rate has been unacceptably high in the past, with only 10% on average returning for a second term. Pressures from spiritual forces and entrenched opposition to the gospel expose any personal inadequacies in a missionary." (Operation World, Johnstone & Mandryk) It's been called a missionary graveyard. But our God is greater than he that is in the world! The harvest is ready and it's Christ's doing, but it requires us to go! I know that God has called us "for such a time as this"! That is the one scripture that has been on my heart since the beginning of our journey towards missions, Esther 4:14. God has prepared me through life experiences for this time, for this moment to minister to the people of Italy. I am willing to follow Him! Which goes into my doubting question of why me and answers it for me, because God has called me! Enough said, I just need my head to listen to what God has placed on my heart and trust that where He leads, I will follow!

The road to Italy has already been traveled, God knows where I am to be, He knows what it takes to get there, and after writing it all out, I know that without a doubt, His grace is enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment