Monday, September 6, 2010

Sentimental Sounds

I have felt especially sentimental today. Sounds have triggered in me the memories of days past, how quickly my children have grown up and I am appreciating the sounds that they are creating today. I think it's the distinct sound of Lego's that has taken me back to days gone by. Caleb is inspired today to build back an old Lego castle he had... hearing the clink and clank of Lego's being poured out onto his floor reminds me how quickly he has grown up. I don't often hear this sound anymore it's been replaced by video games or music... I am glad to see him slow down a bit and enjoy his childhood.

Faith is playing in her room with her dolls and is organizing them as usual but the sound of her voice as she talks with them is so cute. I remember coaxing her to talk when she was little. She was such a quiet child, she didn't talk much unless she had to, so hearing her have conversations with her dolls is so precious. I know that these kinds of days of dolls will not last forever, soon she will be too old for such things, but I am thankful to still hear her playing!

Every now and then I slow down enough to catch the simple things that make being a mom so amazing... I am blessed beyond blessed to have two children who grace my home with the joys of parenthood... toys all over, clothes left on the floor, tooth paste left in the sink, dishes, shoes and socks left all over, books and book bags scattered here and there. These reminders show me how truly privileged I am. So many blessing are found in these sometimes frustrating events... my cleaning the mess up is short lived as well... soon they will be out of the house and out on their own and I won't have these messes everywhere... I won't hear the sounds coming out of their rooms, their little voices won't echo down the hall forever...

I praise God for the simple sounds that touched my heart today and reminded me how short these things are... putting it all in perspective helps me to not be frustrated when tonight I am tripping over Lego's and Bratz dolls... take a moment and listen to the sounds that echo in your home... it's the sound of blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment