Friday, August 24, 2012

Thrifting know how

As a child I went "boutiquing" as my mom liked to call it many Saturdays. There were tips that I was taught about how to thrift; to get the most out of my money. I thought I should impart this wisdom and let you into the little world of finding treasure amidst other's throw aways. I see it as the ultimate recycling and love the thrill of the hunt, knowing that my wish list of vintage things could be found at any local thrift store is so exciting. Here's a list of tips to help you conquer this quest:

1. Label shop! The point here is that good quality items last longer, so if you're spending $1.99 you might as well spend it on great brands!

2. Have  a wish list. I have certain items I know I need or that I've been searching for. Knowing a purpose behind your shopping is good sometimes to help you narrow down your options.

3. Keep an open mind. I know this kind of contrasts #2, but looking at things in  new ways is important when thrifting. You need to think outside the box sometimes.

4. Buy what you love. If you are hesitating on the item, but keep going back to only the price (what a deal it is), it might not be worth buying, even if it's a good deal.

5. Shop often. Knowing the store and when they offer sale days & when they place "new" items is important, get to know these things and be savvy about when you shop.

I look around my home and am thankful I was introduced to this adventure early in life. Thanks Mom!

Happy Thrifting! :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I would love to go thrifting with a pro...hint hint.

    ReplyDelete